Friday, December 19, 2008

Speaking of the new Secretary of Education...

After writing my last post, I came across this article. This article, entitled "Meet the New Story, Same as the Old Story" encapsulates, at least in part, my feelings toward the pick of Duncan as Ed. Sec. Though our guiding assumptions about the Obama Administration may not be the same, we both agree that this was not the best pick out there for the position which so dearly impacts the nation as a whole. To quote the author of this post, Will Richardson: "But more than anything, why this choice depresses me so was articulated in an Ira Socol post from a couple of days ago that just resonated deeply with what I’ve been witnessing the last few years: we generally seem to have lost our imagination when we think about education." How sad is this problem?
Education is both an art and a science, or so professors would have us believe. It consumes one's ability to use scientific practices of data analysis (something I have witnessed far too little of in my observations), and creative ingenuity to find solutions to classroom problems. Now, in my brief time as a student of education, and soon a student teacher, I have witnessed supposed creative expression on the part of teachers. But it lacked substance. This creativity was not linked to data. It wasn't linked to results either.
When will a movement gain steam which truly teaches teachers to both foster creativity, in student-centered lessons, as well as create meaningful, measurable gains? This can only be done purposefully. It can only be done through meticulous planning, analysis, reflection and re-planning. Does anyone see any of this happening under this guy?

1 comment:

Emily said...

you are going to be an amazing teacher.
If it's ok for me to be proud of you, this post did it.